Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Kiwanis Nuclear Power Speech

I had the opportunity to speak to the Kiwanis International, Vicksburg Chapter today about nuclear power. I am always amazed at the level of interest from folks who don't have a background in the same admittedly nerdy subjects I've studied. I managed to explain that once you get outside the "hot rock box", a nuke isn't really much different than any other power plant.

If anybody out there would like to hear nuclear power explained in terms normal folks can understand, I would be happy to share what I have learned over the years about the technology.

UPDATE: A friend with whom I served in the Navy recommends the children's book Nuclear Power - by Amelia Frahm - to get the basics of nuclear power across to kids without imparting irrational fear. I haven't read it yet, but I trust Chris's judgement so here is a link to it from Amazon:

No comments: