Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Publicly Scolded... At least I was Anonymous

It is a strange feeling to hear yourself being talked about in a public forum. You know what I mean... you're in a meeting and the boss talks about an error and you know it's you but he doesn't mention you. You can feel your face turning red with embarrassment wondering if everyone else knows it's you that is the target of a well-deserved scolding. Well, I got a scolding yesterday in front of an audience of a few thousand people though I didn't here it until my commute this morning. Jack Spirko has a business podcast, "5 Minutes with Jack", in which he offers tons of awesome advice with a catch. You have to do something with it. In an email to Jack recently, I filled it full of excuses on why I haven't taken some steps forward with my ideas:

I know if I had spent some $$ to get dillonallen.com, was hosting on Hostgator, and had installed Wordpress that SEO Smart Links would handle this for me. That is my plan, just can't justify the $$ since I don't even have a detailed plan for a business yet.

I'm still sitting on Blogger and planning a move to actual hosting/domain following the outage I'm working right now and better formulation of my plan

In yesterday's Episode 91, He basically ranted on the subject of excuses and not having an "I can do it, so I AM doing it NOW" attitude and it seemed he was reading directly from my email. If not, some other dude wrote in with the exact same words, since Jack read off the excuses listed above - in that order - with a few generalizations. ACK! The point is, there will always be a reason or potential issue to stop you from moving forward if you don't step up and attack the future. I deserved my scolding and I acted... http://www.dillonallen.com is now in existence (though it won't show up until tomorrow some time) and I will be posting there in the future. I will run my main blog at dillonallen.com/blog as well as my photography page, Ka-Click, within the dillonallen.com domain. I also have a few ideas for both product and ebooks that I want to market. They will be available there by summer and I can remove myself - if only for a while - as a source of self-inflicted ridicule. Jack, thanks for the push.

No comments: